The Ecology and Peace Commission (EPC) addresses the relationship between the Earth and human system and their impacts on peace with a special focus on the linkages between problems of sustainable development and sustainable peace. The EPC evolved from the Food Study Group, which became Ecology and Peace Commission (EPC). In 2004 an Earth Charter Working Group was also set up. Many wars have been related to resource conflicts and therefore the EPC focused on conflict resolution related to sustainable development and processes of sustainable transition.
For the 2012 IPRA Conference the EPC convenor suggests to devote several sessions to the following topical theme: From Rio (1992) to Rio+20 (2012)
• Sustainability Transformation and Sustainable Peace
• International Environmental Policy: Lacking political will and implementation
• Peace and Security Impacts of Business-as-usual Policies in the 21st Century
• Responses of Japan, Australia, New Zealand, China, India, South Korea, the ASEAN and other countries to the Kyoto Protocol
• Additional submitted papers related to environment and peace
It is planned to publish selected papers in a peer-reviewed scientific journal or book.